Friday, January 17, 2014

Hola! :o)

I am sorry I haven't updated my blog for so long though so many things happened since my last update! Partly because I was saying lots of goodbyes :( and also last couple days I wasn't able to get on here and write a new post. But it's all good now!

Before I got to Costa Rica

Leaving was very difficult - more difficult than any other times before! And you know I've done some travelling! It might be the age ;) or the fact that Bristol felt like home to me! I enjoyed my job, loved 'my house' and all my friends and church family! But I knew that this was what God has called me to do and I trusted him in these sad but exciting moments. I have to say that those 4 years and 9 months in Bristol have been nothing but a blessing to me!

Journey to Costa Rica

My journey was long but pretty much without any problems. I started my first flight by reading all your cards and praise the Lord that there was no one sitting next to me! :) I think it was God's providence that I left a letter from my friend Jen at the end. It was full of interesting facts about Costa Rica and that helped me to look forward rather than back! Then I tried to watch some cheerful movies :) When I got to Newark, I was a little worried - there was a long queue for passport control waiting for me and I had less than 2 hours till my next flight. I was even told that there is no way I could make it! Thanks Mr Officer! :) But I did make it and even ended up waiting as my next flight was delayed! Thank you Lord! Then it was only 5 hours till San Jose where my coordinator Bridget was waiting for me.

Day #1

I have to say that I woke up way too early! But I blame it on jet lag :) Later on I went to visit my language school where I will start studying Spanish from Monday onwards. Afterwards I visited the centre of San Jose (sorry no pictures yet - I didn't want to look like a tourist on my first day! :)) and had a typical Costa Rican meal that of course contained rice and beans and my favourite plantains :)



In the evening we had a Latin Link meeting with all the missionaries who work here in San Jose. Thank you for a warm welcome!


 Day #2

In the afternoon I joined Veronique (also a Strider with Latin Link) and helped her with preparation for kids day camp in Los Guido (a poor part of San Jose). It was fun as I got to know more people and got to speak Spanish a little bit.

 
Day #3 (Today)
 
Today was quite an exciting day! In the morning I went to the office of Students International (the organisation I will be working with) in Desamparados (a part of San Jose) and met my new colleagues. Natalie (another Strider with Latin Link) gave me a little tour of Desamparados  and then I walked by myself to the area called San Francisco de Dos Rios - that's where I am staying right now. On the way I stopped in the supermarket and did shopping by myself. It was so much fun to walk through the supermarket and try to find the things I needed. I had to ask twice and the first time I knew the answer to my question if they had a risotto rice was no but I didn't really get anything from what the gentleman was telling me. Then I asked other lady where I could find something like a double cream - I had to explain what I would use it for as I didn't know how it's called. Thankfully she got it and showed it to me.
 
It's hard to believe that I've been here only 3 days because so much happened since I left UK - a long journey, new environment, meeting new people, new language! I haven't felt this way since my arrival to Bristol and that was still easier as I could speak English (though not British English and not Bristolian! :)). These first few days remind me of my first days/weeks in Greece in 2005 - I never quite got what the purpose of those 5 months there was but now I feel that besides other things God was preparing me for Costa Rica.
 
More to come soon :)

No comments: