Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My first Easter in Costa Rica :)

Soo...I have to admit that I was quite sceptical about this Easter and was preparing myself for completely different experience (what a woman of little faith, right?!:)). Mainly because some time ago I found out that there was not much happening here in Costa Rica during this special season. People tend to go away from Wednesday until Sunday - mostly to the beach and enjoy the end of dry season.
 
Back in England I felt like I was part of sleepovers at church :) - Thursday night at church, back on Friday morning, Sunday morning and evening and don't get me wrong I loved it! Cause Easter is a special time to remember what Jesus did for us (for me) and naturally I wanted to be with my church family.
 
But God is good and He knows my heart - in the end I ended up having a great weekend. On Thursday evening I went to church and learnt more about the Fifth Cup (Passover meal) and meditated on God's goodness. On Friday I went to see the typical Costa Rican Catholic procession (see the picture below and more on my facebook). And also I got to eat the typical meal eaten here on Good Friday - a fish soup called 'La sopa de bacalao'.


 
On Saturday I was invited to a BBQ and really enjoyed it! Great food and company! And of course great weather! :)
 

 
On Sunday (of course:)) I rejoiced and celebrated the resurrection of our Lord! And in the evening I had a nice time with my Latin Link family. 

 
On Sunday night I thought - what a blessed Easter! Though I still missed being back at home and being in the familiar environment with familiar people. But God looked after me and made sure that I was not alone and was able to enjoy this important time. However I didn't realize that it wasn't the end - tonight I went to see the movie 'God is not dead' and it was very encouraging. But mainly it made me happy that there is a movie like this out there. And yeah I know - it has many bad reviews and some of them might have a point. However the fact is that God is not dead - He is very much alive and present in our lives (definitely in mine and I am very thankful for it). And not only that - He is also good, loving, faithful, merciful, forgiving, just and I could go on and on as He has so many great attributes. And I really liked that the movie showed the reality - the absence of God in many people's lives and either their ignorance or anger. But at the same time their need for His love and grace.

So at the end of this post I would like to express my thankfulness to my Heavenly Father that I so strongly felt during this Easter.

'Dear Lord,
 
Thank you for your sacrifice, for your willingness to carry the cross for me and for dying for all my sins - past, present and future.
 
Thank you for your love, grace, forgiveness and that I can call myself your child - what a privilege!
 
Thank you that you loved me yesterday, today and forever - when the sun is shining or when it's cloudy and rainy, when I am moody and when I am happy, when I praise you but also when I forget you.
 
Thank you that despite my flaws and failures you don't stop loving me and your love is unconditional. Thank you that I don't need to make myself beautiful for you,  that I don't need to work out hard to have a perfect body, to impress you with my knowledge or status or a well-paid job. You love me no matter what. 
 
Thank you for my family and friends - all the people you sent into my life - especially those who helped me to know you more.
 
Thank you that you speak to me even when I don't want to listen and that you hear my prayers and know my heart - even when I don't feel like talking to you.
 
Thank you that you know me so well (because you created me) and know what I like and need. And thank you for not always giving me what I want as you know better and can see the bigger picture.
 
Thank you that you are in control of everything so I can completely trust in you and rest in you. Thank you that all your plans for me are good and much better than mine!
 
Thank you for this time in Costa Rica and how much you have blessed me already, for your provision and protection.
 
Thank you for being my Heavenly Father, my Saviour, my Friend, my Shepherd, my Rock, my Comforter and everything I need!
 
Thank you for the cross!'

No comments: